Hubken's Free Switch Hub
Are you ready to unlock the power of Totara?
Totara’s 10+ years of experience in the corporate market means that many of our Moodle clients are still opting to migrate to Totara rather than upgrading.
While both Moodle and Totara’s flexibility, versatility and low cost make them an excellent choice, we thought it would be helpful to pull together a resource hub to help you learn more about Totara and how it compares to your Moodle platform.
Don’t forget to bookmark this page for easy access.
We deliver Totara to innovative organisations like yours
Useful blog articles and guides
Check out our free blogs and guides to learn more about Totara's functionality, the benefits of switching for your organisation and the tip tops for a smooth transition with us!
01 NEW blog! Switching from Moodle to Totara
Migrating from Moodle to Totara? Read our roundup of what to expect from your new LMS including all the great new features available with Totara!
02 Switching LMS: Top tips for a smooth transition
If your considering switching your LMS but don't know where to start, we've put together some top tips and things to consider consider before you switch.
03 Top 6 reasons why it’s time to switch to a new LMS?
Is your LMS still helping you achieve your L&D objectives? See the 6 most common reasons that prompt organisations to change the LMS they use...
04 Common LMS pain points: Does your LMS deliver?
If your LMS is a bad fit, it may be proving to be a costly mistake! So if you’re feeling any of these pain points – it’s probably time for an LMS upgrade.
05 So, what's brand-new in Totara 15 and 16?
We've picked out some of our favourite new features in Totara 15 and 16, find out how they've improved the Totara Talent Experience Platform (TXP)!
St. Helens Council
Yellow Room Learning
Moodle vs Totara: Watch our recent webinar now!
Moodle vs Totara: Which LMS is best for me?
The chance to explore in greater detail a few of the key feature differences between the two systems to help understand which one might be a better fit for your organisation’s learning needs.
Enter your details now to watch the full webinar and share the insights with your colleagues.
(We apologise for the slight technical issues during the event)
Your webinar questions answered
1. Does Totara have a question bank like Moodle?
Yes, Totara has a question bank like Moodle. Depending on your version of Moodle you could import this list over to Totara.
2. Is there any way to allow self-registration by unknown users? Assuming they would have to be categorised into orgs/cohorts, so would they have to select an org/cohort at registration time? What if they chose the wrong one, and got access to the courses they shouldn’t?
Totara and Moodle’s self-registration fields are very similar. The sign-up forms can be adapted to meet your requirements. Totara provides an option for an organisation to be selected.
Within Totara there are two ways in which users can create accounts; these are:
- Self-registration with approval
Users from the login page will create an account and then the site admin will be notified and will need to approve the user.
- Email-based self-registration
Users from the login page will create an account and then receive an email to confirm their account.
Hubken recommends self-registration with approval as the preferred authentication method for these two options. There are also other alternative authentication methods available with Totara. If you have a specific use case for self-registration, a call with your account manager would be beneficial to understand the set-up you require.
3. Does Totara have a multi-branding feature? Where it allows you to create different versions of your site for different clients (i.e. change logo, branding, and colour etc)?
Yes, Totara has a multitenancy feature. This allows multiple tenants to be active on the site. When they log in they will see different branding (logos, colours, branding, images etc).
Information on multitenancy:
A single, shared instance of software that serves multiple tenants, where a tenant is a group of users who share a common access with specific privileges to the software instance.
A tenant has its own users, learning content such as courses, programs and certifications, performance activities such as appraisals and check-ins, workspaces and its own dashboard and set audience. You decide whether tenants see only their own tenant-based content or a combination of their tenant content and site-level content.
You can also assign responsibility for managing users, learning content and performance activities within a tenant to specific users in that tenant.
Multitenancy can be used for many different scenarios – if you have a specific use case in mind it would be handy to chat with your account manager to understand if multitenancy will meet your requirements.
4. Does Totara allow you to upload SCORM packages like Moodle?
Yes. SCORM 1.2 (same as Moodle)
5. Can notification emails be HTML enabled and feature customised templates, etc.?
Totara has a centralised notification system. You can manage notifications for Courses, seminars, programmes and certifications. You can add links and change notification content. Html is available within the templates for notifications.
6. During the introduction operational change was highlighted. Our use has remained standard with low-level functionality. Moodle provides this consistency and ease of use. Is Moodle being phased out and will Totara ultimately become the only choice?
Moodle is not being phased out from the Hubken offering. We have received feedback from clients wanting to understand more about the Totara products and so we felt running the webinar and setting up the Switch Hub was a great way for Hubken clients to explore their options should they feel they need something different. If Moodle is working well for you, that’s great!
7. Does Totara allow learners to undertake more formal assessments – not just quizzes?
The assignment activity will allow for formal assessments and for your users to upload essays and assignments.
Totara has the same activities as Moodle:
- Seminar (only in Totara – online booking tool to manage live, online or face to face events)
- External tool
8. How difficult is it to set up and use the automation functionality (for creating different audiences and custom learning pathways)?
The nice thing about the automation and personalisation tools across Totara is that you can start small and simply and scale up as required.
This means you can pilot a few small audiences to find out what works best for your users, learners and you. The interface is pretty straightforward and includes contextual help throughout.
Should you get stuck at any point you can tap into the Totara Help documentation and Totara Academy which provides free-to-access help documentation, learning content, usage examples and best practice ideas across all automation tools.
9. Can certifications be linked somehow so that outside bodies can access the results for auditing?
The reporting functionality across Totara allows you to schedule reports to be run and sent in a variety of formats to people within or external to your site. This means you can schedule and automate the generation and distribution of a report around certifications and completions to be sent to an outside auditing body.
10. What’s the process of switching from my Moodle LMS platform to Totara? How long does this take and what kind of disruption will we experience?
Switching is very easy – once you have made the decision to switch, your AM will collect some information from you for our Implementation and Infrastructure teams to review.
Once their assessment is complete, we will be able to provide you with a confirmation that we can switch the site and make you aware of any other considerations.
Downtime for the switch will be needed – this is envisaged to be no more than 2-3 days.
11. Can I switch before my current contract expires and can I still take advantage of the special offer?
Yes – any amounts that have been paid for the current term of Moodle provision that has not yet been used can be offset against your new invoice for your new term on Totara.
Learn more about the advanced features available in Totara Learn
Totara Learn is our most powerful and comprehensive LMS and the best e-learning platform to help you solve even the most complex learning and development challenges, simply. Its rich functionally enables you to deliver training that is aligned with your learners’ roles, training needs and objectives.
- Build skills and competency frameworks
- Save time with automated, rule-based allocation
- Gain detailed insights with custom-built reports