Delivering a company-wide learning solution with Totara Learn
Arriva has adopted Totara Learn as their enterprise Learning Managing System, branded Arriva Learning, and has now expanded up to 25,000 licences. Initially purchased to support the adoption of SAP ERP systems, the platform is now widely used across Arriva’s various business functions and divisions, with nearly 24,000 learners, and has become an integral enterprise-wide service.
Arriva chose Hubken Group to deliver, host and support this service because of their extensive product and e-Learning knowledge, the open and honest approach they have with their clients, and the incredible level of support they have provided over the years.
Arriva approached the Hubken Group in 2017, initially to provide a coherent learning platform for their SAP training programme. This platform has now grown to be able to integrate and deliver Arriva’s corporate training services to staff across a series of different departments, including their UK and European network.
There was a real need within Arriva to deliver a wide range of virtual training and information courses throughout the entire organisation, from compliance and onboarding through to health and safety programmes or distributing rapidly changing customer travel updates. Not only were the means of delivering L&D fragmented and varied across the organisation, the manual processes of organising, delivering and monitoring them was very time consuming and costly.
Being able to customise the portal for different operating companies proved to be a sound investment for Arriva as the Multi-Tenancy functionality reduces LMS costs as they only had to purchase a single system to achieve their training outcomes
In the end, the LMS solution had to have several key requirements, including:
- Ability to deliver targeted courses to learners in different business units
- Allow managers to view, monitor and track their team’s learning progress
- Handle compliance and assessment programmes with legal evidence of compliance
- Allow for future growth of the organisation’s learning needs
- Provide powerful, customisable reporting tools
- Be simple to administer and easily navigable for employees
- Multi-Tenancy functionality to cater for unique experiences for different transportation operators
Why Hubken and Totara
In 2017 Arriva partnered with Hubken Group to implement a Totara Learn platform (branded internally as Arriva Learning), themed to align with Arriva’s branding guidelines and configured to enable learners to easily access courses and comply with internal policy requirements.
Today, the relationship with Arriva and Hubken continues to grow and develop. Arriva Learning is now fully rolled out across Arriva’s business. The initial userbase of 250 learners has now climbed to be able to support close to 24,000 learners in just 5 short years.
Costs continue to be reduced and the multi-language capability of Totara Learn has meant that standardised training has been developed in multiple European countries and in 14 different languages.
Arriva Learning now offers a truly blended training programme across the UK and Europe, including knowledge assessments, tracking and monitoring of individual and team progress, automatic grading and certification.
Moving forward, the adaptability of Totara Learn means that Arriva is now exploring integrating it with their HR systems to provide a powerful link between the two systems and remove even more manual processes.
Key results include:
- Dramatic rise in the number of users, from 250 in 2017 to more than 24,000 in 2023
- 28,480 course completions over the past year, primarily comprising Compliance, Diversity & Inclusion, Health and Safety and Health and Wellbeing courses
- 142 different courses available to all end users
- Courses run in 14 different languages, including English
- Eliminated monthly manual time spent processing and issuing completion reminders for four Compliance courses
Ready to discover how Totara could transform your L&D programme?
See what’s included as standard with Hubken
Our new e-learning HubkenCore package changes the game when it comes to buying a managed e-learning solution.